Project "Robstopper"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lol, very true!

Knowing you it'll be a 600bhp capable engine but run at 400bhp to stay safe which to be fair is why the old girl is still going strong now
    The Lord Lucan of Scoobycity, hasn't been seen in months.

Comment

• If it was a "built" RCM engine, then their base is good for anything from 400-700bhp (ish) with the right ancillaries bolted on. The plan we cooked up some years ago is just a standard STI 8 short engine as it has forged pistons, re-use my v3/4 heads, an RCM400 turbo, plus other bits, to see a safe, reliable, useable 370/380 bhp and lb/ft. As you say, just going for a simple, cost-effective, and reliable solution, and the power is whatever happens to come with that.

Fingers crossed tho, that will still be some way off.
      Rob

MY97 UK Turbo - the "Robstopper"

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, de-briefed, or numbered. My life is my own. "

Comment

• Just goes to show that the subaru boxer lump (even in open deck and non forged uk guise) is a strong reliable engine when serviced regularly and mapped well .

It's a credit to yourself and rcm bud 👍

I fully understand the lack of chasing high hp for a road car as I've found 350 hp is more than enough in a road going classic and will probably only aim for 400hp instead of the 500 hp I originally built my engine to take ☺
        Last edited by savage bulldogs; 26-07-15, 12:58 PM.

Comment

• cheers Clive.

I rarely use full boost setting and all 300bhp I have now, so having much, much more than that is a waste. You can't really fully exploit over 400bhp in a road car unless your surname is "Clark" anyway!
          Rob

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, de-briefed, or numbered. My life is my own. "

Comment

• The old girl still polishes up nicely! Four hours yesterday of washing, claying, polishing and waxing.

I'm also using a different brake pad on the front now. I've ditched the Ferodo DS2500, and am now using Pagid Blue - early days, but they seem pretty effective.
            Rob

Comment

• Nice work mate!! Nice and shiny
              Can you pop over and do mine??
              Phil --- 2005 Wrx. Sti uppipe, Prodrive sports cat downpipe (heat wrapped), Prodrive centre pipe decat. Prodrive rear box, Pierburg 3 port sol valve, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Greens panel filter, racedynamix remap. PCA Dynamics lowering springs.Strut brace. Sunsport lower grill. Running at 280 bhp 290 ft lb torque Boost 1.3 bar. Well chuffed

Comment

• 25 a time lol
                Rob

Comment

• Cheap Rob. Are you mobile?? Lol

Comment

• I reckon Rob is mobile most of the time apart from when watching the rugby
                    Phil --- 2005 Wrx. Sti uppipe, Prodrive sports cat downpipe (heat wrapped), Prodrive centre pipe decat. Prodrive rear box, Pierburg 3 port sol valve, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Greens panel filter, racedynamix remap. PCA Dynamics lowering springs.Strut brace. Sunsport lower grill. Running at 280 bhp 290 ft lb torque Boost 1.3 bar. Well chuffed

Comment

• Hit a milestone on the way in to work this morning

See, modified cars can be reliable.......if Paul Cowland sells it to you, Paul Blamire maps it, and RCM look after it!
                      Rob

Comment

• It's also a lot to do with you having good "Mechanical sympathy".
                        A term not understood by non car guys and dare I say it, most women.
                        I want to grow my beard very long, braid it into my pubic hair, and strum it like a harp

Comment

• Good old girl.

Comment

• Had an RCM Race Thermostat fitted during the regular service on Monday. The old one (the original factory one on 220k+ miles I think!!) wasn't filling me with confidence, being too quick to reach the fan cut-in point in traffic and warm temperatures, and then too slow to cool back down. The new one has a lower actuation point, so the water temps are now sitting 10-15 degrees lower and oil temps about 5 degrees lower on a steady cruise, and are much slower to climb and cooler-running in traffic or on a "spirited" drive. For about 60, it's a cheap and effective upgrade which should bring longevity and reliability.
                            Rob

Comment

• How much bhp did it give??

Comment

• At least 75bhp lol
                                Rob

Comment

Working...
                                X