No announcement yet.

Project "Robstopper"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitter turned up yesterday afternoon. I haven't trial-fitted it yet, but the quality looks good and the finish is defintely good enough to bolt straight on without needing painting. I've asked Rick @ IARC if they can fit it for me - they'd be able to get it done quicker than I'd even be able to trial fit it! - if not, I'll do it myself.

The old one had been lightly bonded on with mastic as well as bolted through the ends though, so I'll need to remove some of that mastic first - any recommendations on how to easily remove mastic? Any solvent products or similar? Perhaps WD40 might work?

Rob

MY97 UK Turbo - the "Robstopper"

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, de-briefed, or numbered. My life is my own. "

Comment

• You might be better buying some mastic eater. Screwfix do a no nonsense brand for 4.49.
      ​​​
      Last edited by derby john; 30-08-18, 06:37 AM.

Comment

• Cheers John. I'm going to try Autoglym's Intensive Tar Remover first - I don't want to use anything which might damage the paint work, as it will be partially visible now. From what I can gauge without having taken the splitter off yet, it's a very thin bead of mastic so most of it should peel off.

Rob

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, de-briefed, or numbered. My life is my own. "

Comment

• Hmmm, one slight hitch here.....

The old one is bonded on well, so i'm struggling to get it off without running the risk of damaging the paint on the bumper 😕

Rob

Comment

• Try a little heat and slightly pull it. Sounds so rude

Comment

• We're still talking about my splitter, right? Lol

Seeing if anyone has a hairdryer i can borrow......coz i obviously dont have one 😉

Rob

Comment

• Surely Si must have one?

Comment

• He reckons he hasn't - I think he just sticks his damp head out the van window, labrador-style

Going to see my folks at lunchtime, so I'll borrow mums dryer and give the splitter a blast with that.

Rob

Comment

• The splitter lost the fight 😉 need to tidy up the remnants of the mastic and polish out some scratches, then the new one can go on tomorrow.

Rob

Comment

• Love the picture of wreck it Ralph. Glad you got it sorted.

Comment

• New splitter is on! Good quality, reasonable fit with just a couple of gaps. Thanks to Si for the polishing and assist

Rob

Comment

• Comment

• Glad to see you’re still defying the laws of Subaru arches (rust) and keeping the old girl in top shape Rob
                            Last edited by Chopper; 05-12-18, 06:10 PM.
                            I want to grow my beard very long, braid it into my pubic hair, and strum it like a harp

Comment

• It's a never-ending battle Chop.

Still waiting for RCM to clear a space in their workshop to get mine in for it's engine. Going to be worth the long wait I'm sure.

Rob

Comment

• You should be top of there list lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X