X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thats what I keep telling them

Rob

MY97 UK Turbo - the "Robstopper"

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, de-briefed, or numbered. My life is my own. "

Comment

• I finally dropped my car in for its heart transplant this weekend, just shy of 243,000 miles.

I went with Thwaites Developments in the end, due to ongoing issues with RCM's workload and timescale. Shame the boys in Hinckley aren't going to be building it, but Mark at TDR is going to be building exactly the same spec of engine, using RCM parts, so I'm still getting the same motor, just with the labour side of things subcontracted out! TDR and RCM work closely together, so they're "approved" to work on my car

If all goes to plan, I should have her back in 3-4 weeks, then it will be 1000 miles of running in still using the old turbo and injectors, before she goes back in for final mapping and the fitting of the actual new turbo and injectors. I'm going for an RCM induction kit too, and we'll be picking a turbo (possibly a hybrid unit based on a VF35) to aim for 350bhp, which should be more than enough for what I use the car for!

Rob

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, de-briefed, or numbered. My life is my own. "

Comment

• 250 k miles on a v3 UK engine is definitely a testament to how well rcm have maintained and mapped it 😎.

Still glad to hear the robstopper is getting a new heart , final piece of the puzzle or will it continue to evolve?

I'm sure you'll find 350hp in a classic is plenty for a road car , imo there's no point aiming for pub figures with worse drivabilty in a daily .

Comment

• cheers Clive.

That's pretty much exactly the same as myself and Mark said - no point going for unusable headline figures and wasting money and fuel chasing them.

My approach with my car has always been "maintain, refresh, upgrade as necessary", I've never had a grand plan for it. So with the new heart, hopefully she'll keep going for a while yet.

Rob

Comment

• Little mid-project update.

I picked the car up from TDR on Saturday, with the first lot of work completed on time, and on budget (if not slightly cheaper, as I got them to do a few extra bits too). Happy with the work so far, I've now got to run it in with no boost and half revs for 1000 miles - am about a third of the way through already.

It's booked back in, in 3 weeks time, for the fitting of the new 550cc injectors, an RCM induction kit with new turbo inlet pipe, a new-age top mount intercooler, new MAF and new turbo. Going for a billet wheel VF48, which should see me with about 340-350bhp.

The engine bay doesn't look radically different at the moment - just cleaner! Got one more bit I want to tidy up over the weekend, then I'll post up a couple of before and after pics.

Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob View Post
              The engine bay doesn't look radically different at the moment - just cleaner!
              Nomad would be proud

Comment

• Happy days.

Comment

• Picked up the car from TDR this morning, and i am a happy happy bunny! Made an easy 350bhp and 319lb/ft with headroom left on the mapping for safety margin. Mark said it was pulling so well at the top end he had to raise the rev limit by 500rpm!

before

During

During

After

Dyno print out

Used a K&N induction in the end as RCM don't do one to fit my MAF - typical my97 awkwardness! 😅

I need to find a new front strut brace too, as the Cusco one won't fit over the STI intercooler.

She pulls so strongly, bit laggier compared to the VF35, but that spooled ridiculously early. And the soundtrack? Omfg!!!! Full on WRC style!
                  ​​​​​
                  ​​​

Rob

Comment

• Sweet. Now behave yourself...

Comment

• I always do....

Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob View Post
                        I always do....

Comment

• Dunno what you're laughing about, oh Landrover Discovery-baiter 😉😅

Was fun running it up to Norwich and back on full boost last night. Think it woke the dump valve up, as it started opening rather than the boost taking the path of least resistance back thru the induction kit. Shame, as i liked that noise!

Rob

Comment

Working...
                          X