This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Spec's

I've had permission to add this very handy info to our forum. If anyone would like to add info on any turbo not listed please do so.

After the "basics" of better airflow (exhaust, intake, etc.) and baseline engine management, the next step is to take the plunge with a larger turbo.

The base turbo is a Mitsubishi TD04. Originally, when the WRX first debut in 94, the WRX came with a larger Mitsubishi TD05 turbo. The larger turbo allowed for greater top end horsepower at the expense of turbo lag and initial spool up. Thus, starting in 97 Subaru replaced the TD05 in favor of the smaller and quicker spooling TD04.

So…where to begin and what type of turbo to install? Well, for starters, look to Subaru's own in house performance tuning division - STi. The 280 hp WRX STi V7 sports an IHI VF24 roller ball bearing turbo.

Roller bearing turbos give you fast transient spool up - full boost comes on quickly.

Remember, to take full advantage of a new turbo, you must run some sort of engine management. Also remember that when you surpass the 325-330 hp mark, the stock fuel system becomes inadequate. (read: the fuel injectors and fuel pump can't supply enough fuel to run safely)

IHI turbo's

The VF series (VF22, VF23, VF24, VF29, VF30, VF34, VF39) are the most common direct replacement turbos. All VF-series turbochargers use the same roller bearing, water-cooled core assembly. The differences are in their wheels and housings to achieve different flows.

The VF22 has the largest potential for peak horsepower. In other words, in the IHI model range, the VF 22 supports the highest boost levels. It is capable of running up to 25 psi. Because it is a roller bearing turbo, turbo lag is minimal...the boost comes on around 3300 rpm. Expect to max out the VF22 somewhere in the 400-450 hp range.

The VF23 starts the middle ground. It comes on boost around 3100 rpm and is capable of running 20 psi of boost. Expect to max out the VF23 somewhere in the 300-350 hp range.

The VF 24 starts to come on around 2900 rpm and will significantly improve power through the midrange over the stock TD04 turbo. However, the VF 24 is only capable of running around 17 psi.

The VF23 and VF 24 are a great replacement for those who value drivability higher than maximum power.

The VF29 & VF30 delivers a very wide increase in torque over the standard TD-series turbos.

The VF 30 is a fairly new IHI model that utilizes the exhaust housing of a VF24 and the compressor housing sized between a VF 23 and a VF 22. It comes on boost down low (around the 3000 rpm range). With upgraded injectors, fuel pump, and engine management, the VF 30 is good for 365-390 horsepower. It is important to note that the VF30 is NOT a roller bearing turbo.

The IHI VF34 (which comes standard in the Japanese market STi version "RA") is a new roller bearing turbo. It has the same specifications (compressor size, etc.) as the VF 30. The difference lies in the roller bearing which, theoretically, allows quicker spool and better response. It costs a couple hundres more than a VF 30. The VF 34 maxes out around 365-390 hp. It is probably the most popular option for big turbos on the WRX.

One other turbo to note is the VF 39...it comes standard in the USDM STi. While we don't have all the specs yet, these are a new roller bearing, TWIN SCROLL design. Performance numbers are pretty similar to the VF34...maxing out just under 400 hp.

A new high performance modified IHI turbo has made its way to the market recently. They are the Power Enterprises PE 1818 and the 1820. The 1818 supposedly comes on boost extremely fast...which make it great for road racing or aggressive driving (remember to be responsible :^). The 1818 maxes out somewhere between 350-375 hp.

The 1820 is larger than the 1818 and is capable of running more boost, but at the expense of more turbo lag. Expect it not attain full boost until you have passed 4000 rpm. However, it can be tuned to 400+ hp.
    Here's why I've not been about much lately. - Super Hereo's Discuss DannyBoy's Business.

do we have any more info on other models danny? like the vf35 and the vf28?? im looking at upgrading so wanna get it right first time..

Comment

Re: Turbo Spec's

just a update on this list, the vf39 is almost identical to the vf34 but is a bushing turbo not bearing so it spools a little slower and is a single scroll not duel, but they are half the cost of the 34.. but they are prone to cracking around the waste gate don't affect performance.. i put a 39 in my car..

Comment

hi can someone help me. i just got a subaru wrx sti type uk 2003 v8 with the prodrive kit. can anyone tell me what turbo is fitted std to this car and the max power and what would be a good upgrade turbo without any engine upgrading or remap cheers rob

Comment

You cant do an upgrade turbo without remap.

Your std turbo is good for 350 bhp ish (with supporting mods) VF35.

Your engine internals will take 450bhp if mapped properly but a lot less than that if you bolt bits on expecting them to work without getting mapped.
          Duncan Graham
          email: duncan@racedynamix.com
          tel: 07540 185754
          Custom Mobile Remaps for: All Impreza/Forester 2001-2012 | Classics 92-98 ESL | Ecutek 1999/2000 onwards inc RaceRom| Syvecs (Solaris) | Simtek
          Nationwide Road Mapping and Dyno mapping around various dyno centres in the UK

Comment

Hi guys, time for a turbo upgrade at last

I have a MY 2000 with the following

Walbro fuel pump
            K&N panel filter
            Decat from turbo back
            Remaped

Been doing some research and the IHI VF34 seems to be the one, is this true

Also would you recommend i put some 440 injectors in to help

Then with a remap would all this see me over the 300 bhp mark [-o<

Cheers guys
            Hybrid GT2 FMIC,decat from turbo,550 injectors,forge DV,blitz cone filter, walbro 255 fuel pump, simtek mapped by Dynamix(Duncan)

Comment

440's will be needed.

VF34 may be too much for it - I would go VF35 for earlier spool up as you wont be able to wind it fully up at the top end cos of the gearbox.
              Duncan Graham
              Custom Mobile Remaps for: All Impreza/Forester 2001-2012 | Classics 92-98 ESL | Ecutek 1999/2000 onwards inc RaceRom| Syvecs (Solaris) | Simtek

Comment

Originally posted by dynamix
                440's will be needed.

VF34 may be too much for it - I would go VF35 for earlier spool up as you wont be able to wind it fully up at the top end cos of the gearbox.

STI gearbox it is then
                Hybrid GT2 FMIC,decat from turbo,550 injectors,forge DV,blitz cone filter, walbro 255 fuel pump, simtek mapped by Dynamix(Duncan)

Comment

440 won't be enough to wind it right up really but check with your mapper.
                  Duncan Graham

Comment

im useing a vf34 on my uk turbo 1997 with no probs.
                    no probs with the uk 5 speed gearbox, well not yet anyway lol.
                    1997 uk turbo 2000
                    419bhp
                    410 Torque (mapped by martyn at enginetuner)

Comment

Not been turned up enough to break it yet
                      Duncan Graham

Comment

Originally posted by dynamix
                        Not been turned up enough to break it yet
                        not yet
                        1.5 bar boost at mo, i had a split pipe the other week and it was hitting 1.7-1.8 bar it went well then
                        but all fixed now and back to 1.5.
                        i miss the extra boost now
                        1997 uk turbo 2000
                        419bhp
                        410 Torque (mapped by martyn at enginetuner)

Comment

life begins at 2 bar
                          Duncan Graham

Comment

So…where to begin and what type of turbo to install? Well, for starters, look to Subaru's own in house performance tuning division - STi. The 280 hp WRX STi V7 sports an IHI VF24 roller ball bearing turbo
                            Vf30 came standard on the Version 7 JDM STi and VF35 came as standard on the Version 7 UK Sti the VF24 was a classic STi turbo i believe? I dont have much to do with classics though so couldnt tell you which one.

VF30s are very similar to the VF35, VF35 is a strong 350bhp reliable turbo with quick spool and the ideal upgrade. its what i sell the most!
                            2001 to 2005 STi breaker from the midlands

Comment

version 4 sti my98 had the vf24
                              Dasco

Comment

Working...
                              X