This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De-cat's and MOT's

I just want to set the record straight on MOT's carried out by GW.

GW Autoserve are NOT a decat friendly MOT station. If anyone brings a car to us to be tested and it fails the emissions test, then it fails the MOT. Thats it! No ifs buts or maybe's. It fails.
    I've lost count of the amount of times I've been asked in person or via PM if I will pass a car that has been de-catted. The simple answer is that neither I or any other tester employed by GW will risk our jobs or the garages MOT status to save you guys a few quid to have the cat refitted.
    I had a phone call from a mate today (who also looks after some SC members cars) highlighting the perils of performing dodgy MOT's (thanks btw). This is the exact reason why we stick to the rules and carry out the test in it's full entirety, There are absolutely NO exceptions!

Rant over.

Jon

Re: De-cat's and MOT's

Don't blame you Jon, no way should you risk your job for others...

Thanks for clearing this matter up
    Lisa

You don't have to own a scoob to feel part of the Scoobycity Family

Comment

Well said Jon

Comment

Well said fella. If you lose your job its no more mods to your car!

Always keep your standard cat to put on for MOT time, its only a half hour job.
        The Lord Lucan of Scoobycity, hasn't been seen in months.

Comment

Very true words Jon
          Its not worth the risk these days, there are too many idiots out there to fook things up for us in the trade.
          2009 - 2011 Racedynamix Time Attack sponsor.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Ninja
            Very true words Jon
            Its not worth the risk these days, there are too many idiots out there to fook things up for us in the trade.
            Quite right mate.
            I really enjoy working on scoobs as much as you do, But as you say it only take one gonad to ruin it for the others
            This is the reason why forums are clicky. Too many cocks out there

Comment

Originally posted by fezza
              Always keep your standard cat to put on for MOT time, its only a half hour job.
              The very reason why i kept my prodrive sports cat, at least it gives you the option - although last time that was fitted it still failed on emissions!

Comment

I've tested Scoobs, Hondas, Nissans, Mitzys etc etc with sports cats fitted and not a single one has ever passed the emissions test! Even getting the cat glowing red hot they all still failed! Total utter waste of money in my opinion.
                If anyone insists on going full de-cat then use the money you save from buying a sports cat and spend it on refitting the OEM cat once a year. Problem solved for the MOT, But VOSA will take a very dim view to this if you are emissions tested at the roadside and fail!
                See below...

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/R ... let%20.pdf

Although to be fair these checks seem to be aimed more at the "white man van" rather than the typical daily driver, But the risk is still there. Albeit a small one.

Comment

|Fair play. Seems fair to me.
                  http://i55.tinypic.com/scggok.gif
                  343BHP Ninja II Back Box Full Decat Afterburner Centre And Down Pipe Hks SSQV Walbro Uprated Fuel Pump Cosworth Induction Filter Tuned and mapped by RaceDynamix

Comment

Well said Jon

Andy.

Comment

you said that sports cats you ahve tested never passed emissions is that non prodrive ones they wouldnt have fitted them unless they would pass

steve
                      03 Blobeye STI

Dynamix Remapped (Somewhere just over 400) Perrin Stealth on soon

Meth Map 21st August

Rota's are on & PFF7's for the Track

Comment

Steve,

I'm certainly not saying that all sports cats will fail, But from my experience I've never seen one that has passed. The Prodrive sport cat maybe of better quality than some others? I can honestly say that I don't know the answer to that!
                        Do bear in mind that all components have a shelf life and at some point will cease to operate at their maximum efficiency.

Comment

i never meant to offend jon i know what your saying

i just hope that my sports cat doesnt crap out before my mot in april lol

steve
                          03 Blobeye STI

Dynamix Remapped (Somewhere just over 400) Perrin Stealth on soon

Meth Map 21st August

Rota's are on & PFF7's for the Track

Comment

You haven't offended me at all mate :-D
                            I'm sure your car will be just fine for the mot, Just make sure you get the cat nice and hot and make sure there are no leaks in your exhaust. Even the smallest leak will throw the readings all over the place.

Comment

does this differ from year of car as my 1993 wrx has sailed through mot with and without cat, what i mean is can a mot inspector fail it if he notices you have a decat fitted
                              1996 ver 2sti 368bhp, 6 speed box, 2.1 stroker engine, pace fmic and rad, tein super street coilovers, 8 pot k-sport fronts 6 pot rears, 18" 8j et11 team dynamic wheels, side exit exhaust, full whiteline kit including strut braces and h-brace and anti-roll bars, full custom roll cage, bonnet lifters, ABW diffuser, arches, reverse scoop, and coming soon side skirts.

Comment

Working...
                              X