Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to fit your oil temperature and oil pressure senders when installing gauges...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fit your oil temperature and oil pressure senders when installing gauges...

A very quick guide, just to get Dan started, i'll update later to include more...

Oil Pressure:

First off, you'll need one of these from ebay or scoobyparts...

Then you need to remove the alternator cover..

With it off..

Now remove the belt off the alternator and remove the alternator itself...

You will then see the plug that you want, underneath where the alternator was..

Remove this and put your new relocation pipework in there instead. Remember to use a bit of PTFE tape.

If you want to reconnect the standard oil pressure sender to the ecu you will need to lengthen the wires leading to the plug now and then rest it out of the way while you reassemble. (I didn't bother as it is a rubbish sender anyway).

Then put the alternator etc back on. It's now time to screw your old oil pressure sender into to top of the t piece and the new sender for the gauges into the end, using PTFE again.

And then wire it into your gauge as required, through the bulkhead.

Oil Temperature:

Right, the bit you are looking for is basically under, to the the right of the turbo as you look into the engine bay. You NEED a hex key thingy to get this undone and make sure it is in tight as it'll take all your force to get it undone.

Remove intercooler. Locate plug. Shown here with hex key thingy and extension bar ontop of it.

Once removed, you can put the new one in... (PTFE)

And finally, screw the sender into that one (PTFE)..

Then wire into gauges and your done
    The Lord Lucan of Scoobycity, hasn't been seen in months.

Re: How to fit your oil temperature and oil pressure senders when installing gauges..

Cheers dude, all i need is the pod+fitting to turn up.

1) Will it make much differeance not plugging the original oil pressure back in?

2) I was told never to use ptfe tape on high temeperatures as when it heats up it a) deterioates quickly 2) gives off a highly toxic gas! But this was in engineering collage i got told this.

Was gonna order some threebond 1215.

Oh, How I miss the boost..

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you". Jeremy Clarkson..

Comment

Re: How to fit your oil temperature and oil pressure senders when installing gauges..

i thought if you didnt reconnect the original sensor then oil light on dash lights up
      i used ptfe tape and had no problems
      Dasco

Comment

No probe with PTFE at all I don't think and mine was thrashed to pieces on track on Thursday

Disco - don't know about classics but no affect at all on newages.

Comment

Originally posted by DanFSTI View Post
          Will it make much differeance not plugging the original oil pressure back in?
          No difference at all. The OE pressure sender is practically useless anyway. By the time the oil light has come on the pressure will be so low that the engine will have probably destroyed itself anyway.

Quick pic for anyone who hasn't removed the alternator before...

Comment

As above the standard oil pressure sender is pointless it also caused my gauge to flick whilst driving, ptfe was also used on mine too

Comment

ptfe both classics and the evo with no problems , and when i get a set of new gauges for this one will do the same .
              j
              in my 140bhp t5 camper

Comment

James, were you looking over my shoulder when I fitted mine earlier this week?

The only think I did differently was to locate my extension pipe the other way and strap it to the botton of the coil pack,.

Great write up though, good pics
                Oh dear little Flo I love you so, Especially in your nightie
                When the Moonlight flits, Across your t**s
                Oh Jesus Christ Almighty

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post

What have you used to blank off the t piece on the side of the adaptor if you havn't plugged the original sender into it? Can't quite make it out.

Thats ok just re read the thread you have put the original sender back in just not conected the wires to it..
                  Last edited by DanFSTI; 18-04-11, 12:11 PM.

Oh, How I miss the boost..

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you". Jeremy Clarkson..

Comment

That is the original sensor mate, just didn't plug it back in.

Comment

Iv just bought the same LMA fitting kit, reading through the instructions its says
                      "Gauge sender into side thread @ 1/8npt. Original sender into end thread @1/8 BSPT"
                      Surely thats the other way around to how they have been fitted in the pic? the original sender is in the side and the gauge sender in the end??

Comment

seen this too http://www.networkedsolutions.co.uk/...g%20Gauges.pdf

Comment

Hello chap I mine is as above new sender in side and original in the end ok hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by davieg98 View Post
                            Hello chap I mine is as above new sender in side and original in the end ok hope this helps
                            Thanks for the input mate, yeh after looking at the threads carefully and the 2 sets of instructions im gonna fit them as stated.

Comment

Working...
                            X