oil temp gauge stopped working

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil temp gauge stopped working

I noticed this morning that my oil temperature gauge had stopped working. It's an aftermarket one in a single dashtop pod.

I think it's stil got power to it, as it illuminates, but it doesn't register any temp - could it be the sender has failed?

Rob

MY97 UK Turbo - the "Robstopper"

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, de-briefed, or numbered. My life is my own. "

Or itís not been connected after the service?

Comment

no, won't be that, as it was working fine on Saturday, just not this morning.

Rob

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, de-briefed, or numbered. My life is my own. "

Comment

Sounds like a sender

Comment

Are they universal, or specific to each gauge manufacturer?

Rob

Comment

Ive got a cheap depo , prosport and defi oil temp gages atm and all the oil temp senders have different plugs at the engine bay end . So they're probably different , bud .

have you checked its not just come unplugged in the bay or a bit of insluation has worn / melted causing it to earth out on the engine ?

Comment

thanks Clive - looked on Demon Tweeks, and like you say, the end connectors do differ.

It's difficult to check, as the sender is buried under the intercooler. The one connection I could see seemed OK.

Rob

Comment

Your welcome to borrow 1 of my sensors to try , if you've got the same brand ?

just to make sure its the sensor at fault before buying 1 😉

Comment

It's an Auto Gauge one, quite old now - bought it at JAE probably back in 2005!!! Looked on their website, such as it is, and it was of no help.

I'd need to get the sender out to check it, and that means taking the i/c off.........

Rob

Comment

Can't say what they're like , as they're still in the boxes due to not having a running scoob 🙄 but jamie has a set of prosports in his and rates em .

I bought the wrc halo gauges from little devil gauges, peak audible warnings , visual warning, adjustable brightness and colour 😎

oil pressure , oil temp , boost and if you mention me you might get a free remote too 😉 for £200 delivered i didn't think that was a bad price compared to other sellers. Might be cheaper to just buy a whole gauge from him , bud

Comment

I only really need the oil temp, the rest of the information that's actually useful I get from the A'PEXi PFC Commander, and it avoids littering the cabin with a ton of gauges.

Rob

Comment

Just ordered a new 52mm VDO gauge, sender and dashtop pod from Demon Tweeks - all-in, delivered next day, for £53! They did me a good deal, as I'd had a discount code flyer but hadn't realised the use-by date had expired.

Rob

Comment

Working...
                        X